Monday, May 5, 2008

#73 - Something Must Be Wrong...

I got my passport back!!!! Already! On Saturday!

How? How is this even possible?

The last time I renewed, I gave it the full, recommended 6 weeks processing time and still had to pay the expedition fee to get it back to catch a flight to Hungary. This with condemnations and I-told-you-so's from Greg up to my eyeballs! The time before that, we're talking MAJOR CRISIS. I had sent in the application and was desperately waiting for it to arrive so I could take my first international flight alone as a new high school graduate going away on an exchange program to France. Three days before my flight, we got the envelope in the mail. My mom came running back from the mailbox screaming for joy and waving it in the air. She handed it to me. I ripped it open, looked inside. It was all my information - my name, my address, my birthday - with SOME STRANGE, BEARDED MAN'S FACE!!! I just broke down in tears right there in our driveway and kissed my plane ticket and my five weeks overseas goodbye. I was devastated.

Well, the wonderful people at the county courthouse listened to my tear-stained story of woe and fixed everything. Somehow they mailed it off and got it back to me two days later, a day before my departure. By the time I arrived in the Paris airport, I hadn't slept in days due to the worry.

This time it took them SEVEN days to receive, process and send back?!?!? I'm... dumbfounded... impressed... in shock...

Maybe the passport gods are making it up to me for all my bad luck in the past. Or maybe it's some force conspiring with my husband to show me the virtues of not procrastinating. I have no idea. But I'm so happy that there will be no more passport crisis again for another 10 years. Hooray!

By the way, the new passports are impressively artistic. Each page has some all-American scene - Mount Rushmore, the Liberty Bell, the Mayflower landing, etc. So pretty! I'm hoping I'll soon fill them with stamps, but as for now, I'm officially counting this task as done. yay!

2 comments:

Tabatha said...

Nice. Did you get your old passport back? I hate to get my passport updated because I don't want to lose all my stamps!!!

Larisa said...

Yes, you definitely get your old book back. They just punch a few holes in it and stamp "CANCELED" on the inside to invalidate it. Then they ship it back to you with your marriage or birth certificate. I'm keeping both of my old ones for the same reason... :)