Wednesday, May 28, 2008

#38 - Purge 101 Things from My Life: Items 1-49

I have to say I'm very proud of myself for this one. I come from a long, decorated line of thoroughbred pack-rats. My people are horders. We horde e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Because you just never know when you might need that ratty, old towel or those rusted, bent nails. And why throw them out, when there's all this room in the closet/garage/junk drawer? And I'm one of the least clingy in my clan. I could go on and on and on about certain other family members who shall remain nameless, but I won't. You know who you are!

Tonight while Greg was playing (and winning!) poker, I scoured my closets and drawers. Culling clothing! Clothing I've had since high school! I wish I was kidding, but I actually pulled out a dress I wore to take my senior pictures. How sad is that... That dress was over 13 years old! It's time to let go.

So I'm doing it! I'm taking clothes and giving them away to friends and charities. Surely someone can make use of these things I haven't touched in years. And here's what I've thrown out so far:

6 sweaters
7 skirts
12 dresses - twelve!
5 tops
6 bras
4 pairs of jeans
1 hat
3 t-shirts
5 pairs of shorts

Go me! Hopefully I'll have another wave of bravery and conviction soon because it actually feels good to lighten my load.


And may I just say, this was an emotionally difficult job for me, made all the more challenging by a kitty who is obsessed with laying on clothes.



I can't tell you how many times I had to disturb her peace to get at those things she had perched herself upon. But she's pretty cute, right... :)

3 comments:

Juicy said...

freaking adorable! My cats do that too-especially when I drag out the suitcase, they always want to pack themselves. :)

Anonymous said...

I see several things that I made for you way back when and YES, you should have passed them along many years ago! good for you. You might inspire me to do some culling. Love, Mom

Larisa said...

Oh no, you did not just go there!

Mom, you were at the top of the list for those people who should remain nameless in their OCD hording addiction. I bet I could find clothes in your closet older than me.

Go, my little mommy, to your closets. Toss! Purge! Cleanse! It feels oh so good!