Friday, February 8, 2008

#9 - Funkify Our Guest Bathroom

****Greg, DO NOT READ THIS POST! Close your eyes and scroll down! You promised me the bathroom was all MINE! And I want it to be a surprise!****
*
*
*
*
Have you closed your eyes yet?
*
*
*
*
I'm serious! Close them! You promised...
*
*
*
*

Ok, now that that's done...

Let's talk about our downstairs half bathroom for a minute. The first time I laid eyes on this little box of a room, I could feel its shackled little soul crying out for a makeover - so sad.

Since first entering the market in 1989, I am sure, it has been trapped in its current dowdy and unspired state of being. The walls are covered in a subdued blue wallpaper with little white and pink flowers. Ew. Half of one wall is occupied by a huge square mirror tacked directly onto the drywall above the sink. Boring. Showgirl lights line the upper edge of the mirror. Ehhh. And the cabinet under the sink is oak. Its a lonely, little room that only has an audience when we have guests or are cleaning out the kitty litter.

I'd love to transform this space and do something creative with it - without it being an eyesore or something that makes my husband cringe when he first lays eyes on it. I'd love to have people go in there, and after a little initial shock, take a step back, look around and find bits of interesting detail and inspiration. And do all of this within a reasonable budget... That may be the tricky part. (And suggestions or website referrals are welcome here.)

Getting started...
Everyone knows that when it comes to redecorating, you get the most bang for your buck in paint. Since we moved in, I knew I wanted one room in our house to be a deep, dark, sexy red color. And since this is such a small space, I don't think it'd be too overpowering here. Step 1: The major color - sexy red. However, I was worried that painting all 4 walls in this shade may be too intense.

Then I saw this project! The couple needed to make a nursery and were inspired when they found an awesome fabric pattern. They transferred the pattern onto their wall and painted accordingly. The effects were pretty amazing. I love it! And this gave me more inspiration. I've been seeing all of these beautiful damask patterns on everything from chairs to dishes to wall decor. So in keeping with the spirit of the above project, I thought I could use one wall in the bathroom and do the same pattern transfer with a not-too-busy damask. I found a few sites that had interesting patterns, but most were too dense. Sending our guests into an epileptic fit, trapped in a tiny room with an over-stimulated repeating pattern, would kinda defeat the purpose, ya know. So I decided that instead of having the entire wall covered, I could just have a bit of the pattern peeking out one of the sides. To give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, here are a few first draft schematics.This is not necessarily the pattern I'd stick with, although I do like it. In fact, I found a few contenders when I stumbled across this website. I love the swirly, organic designs featured on their main links, but it may be too "girly" for Greg's taste. That's still a work in progress. Step 2: Have a partially patterned focal wall.

Next, the mirror. I like that we have such a large mirror on that wall, but its just so blah. I'd like to either a) knock it down, which would probably require taking a sledgehammer to it - not very appealing, and find a more stylish oval mirror to hang in its place, or b) find some way to embellish the borders of the existing mirror. Mirrors are ridiculously expensive so I'm going to brainstorm on option b before doing research into option a - unless, of course, a beautiful and yet well-priced masterpiece happens to fall into my lap. I think I could add a painted wooden border around the edges of the mirror or get crafty and create some sort of mosaic glass or mirrored border that I could affix directly to the surface of the existing mirror. We'll see. Step 3: Mirror sexification.

And finally, Steps 4 & 5, if I can afford them... the lighting and the sink. This is going to be hard because I have a feeling the contemporary options I have in mind are also going to be the most expensive. And when I picture the end product, I always see the light fixture (especially) pop. Whether or not I can afford to replace the sink to a sleeker version is up in the air, but at the very least, I'd like to change this:...into something much more interesting, like this:...but without the creepiness.
(Is it just me or does this look like something straight out of the Matrix? It just might spring to life, chase me down and twist my little digital head off with its mechanical tentacles, which would, of course, also kill me in the physical world. Ew. Enough of that...) Ok, something very unique but without going way over the top. Any suggestions?

To be quite honest, I haven't solidified in my head what I want the end result to be. The vague pictures I covet in my mind's eye may not jive with the other changes I've planned so I'm expecting the idea of the room to morph as it starts taking shape. It might be one of those things that when I see it, I'll just know.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear feedback and/or suggestions.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! I looooooooooooooove it!! Red is one of my favorite colors to decorate with. And I love the contrast of the three main colors. Way to go!

Jennifer said...

I say you have an awesome design idea on your hands! I love the colors and the damask idea. Have you thought about a modern/funky/sexy chandeleir? I have seen them before but have no site recs for ya. Just so you know I am a sucker for tedious painting, if you want a hand, I'd be up for it!

MrsMonkey said...

I just saw some neat decals on a website today: http://tinyurl.com/2gqprr

Some of those designs look similar to what you have in mind, hope that helps! Love the idea of a red room--I've always wanted one, too.

ashley said...

i love the damask idea too! how cool. i was thinking modern/funky chandelier as well! i think urban outfitters might have some?

Jennifer said...

I know it is kinda pricey, I saw it on trading spaces, but it is one of those patterns where from afar it looks like a pretty damask and then up close you see birds, mice, parking meters, and fire hydrants. Could be that whoa sort of thing that makes your visitors really look at the details.
http://www.flavorleague.com/wallpaper/city-park?colorway=dark-chocolate&line=funky

Larisa said...

Wow, ladies! Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm so torn. I love the ease of the decal idea and will definitely do more searching for possibilities. I also like the little hidden goodies in the design. Very cool.

A chandelier would be FAB-ulous, but I don't know quite how I'd do it. The room is already wired for a wall mount. I will have to consult my little bro about re-wiring possibilities.

Yay! I'm so inspired to start this project. Now if I only had the TIME (and money)(and expertise)...

Tabatha said...

The wall paint idea: Is. Totally. Awesome. I just might have to steal that!

The recommended light fixture reminds me of Edward Scissorhands =)

~MrsMillerTime

Tabatha said...

OMG...I saw this site and thought of you. Instead of using a projector, you can buy templates!! http://www.makeupthewall.com

=)