Wednesday, December 12, 2007

# 60 - Read 50 books

Mark 2 more off the list.

The first is The Thirteenth Tale about a famous writer revealing the secret story of her life to an unknown biographer. I won't ruin the plot or the twists by giving anything away. Let's just say that as you read the book, the mystery of her haunted past is slowly revealed. Incest, murder, mental disabilities abound.

I enjoyed this book, although I have to say it isn't one of my favorites. I wish I could have made the book club. Then maybe I'd have more insights into the title, but as it is, I'll just say its a good story.

The second is The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives. As the title would suggest, I'd place this in the chic lit category. But as I find most chic lit slightly annoying, I have to say this book was highly entertaining. It centers around the very privileged world of bored housewives with too much money and too few scruples. As soon as I read about $150 face cream made from cloned baby foreskin, I was hooked. Highly entertaining and shockingly appalling at the same time, I finished this book at 2 a.m. last night. Highly recommended for a brief foray into an alternate reality.

8 down, 42 to go.

Both of the above books went on at some lengths about Jane Eyre, a book I never read in high school. I'm taking that as a sign so its next on my list.

Then on to A Thousand Splendid Suns for my next book club meeting.

No comments: